- Line Islands
Line Islands [līn]group of coral atolls of Kiribati in the central Pacific, south of Hawaii, formerly divided between the U.S. and Great Britain
* * *Chain of islands, central Pacific Ocean, south of the Hawaiian Islands.The Line Islands extend 1,600 mi (2,600 km) and have a land area of 193 sq mi (500 sq km). Of the northern group, Teraina (Washington) Island and the Tabuaeran (Fanning) and Kiritimati (Christmas) atolls belong to the Republic of Kiribati, while Kingman Reef, Palmyra Atoll, and Jarvis Island are U.S. territories. Kiribati also holds the central group (Malden and Starbuck islands) and the southern group (Vostok and Flint islands and Caroline Atoll).
* * *▪ islands, Pacific Oceanchain of coral islands in the central Pacific Ocean, some of which belong to Kiribati and some of which are claimed as unincorporated territories belonging to the United States.The Line Islands extend 1,600 miles (2,600 km) northwestward from French Polynesia. They have a land area of 193 square miles (500 square km) and are divided into Northern, Central, and Southern groups. All the islands are coral formations, but only six have lagoons, which makes them atolls. The Northern Line Islands politically comprise Teraina Island and Tabuaeran and Kiritimati atolls, all parts of Kiribati from its independence (1979), and Kingman Reef, Palmyra Atoll, and Jarvis Island, all unincorporated territories of the United States. Also part of Kiribati are the Central and Southern Line Islands; the Central group consists of Malden and Starbuck islands, and Vostok and Flint islands make up the Southern group. There is no permanent habitation except on Kiritimati and Tabuaeran atolls and on Teraina Island.
* * *
Look at other dictionaries:
Line Islands — Lage der Line Islands (rechts) im Pazifik Gewässer Pazifischer Ozean … Deutsch Wikipedia
Line Islands — [ laɪn aɪləndz, englisch], Inselgruppe im Pazifik, Linieninseln … Universal-Lexikon
Line Islands — Coordinates: 0°0′S 157°0′W / 0°N 157°W / 0; 157 … Wikipedia
Line Islands — Îles de la Ligne Pour les articles homonymes, voir Ligne. Îles de la Ligne Line Islands (en) … Wikipédia en Français
Line Islands — Admin ASC 1 Code Orig. name Line Islands Country and Admin Code KI.02 KI … World countries Adminstrative division ASC I-II
Line Islands — Line Is·lands a group of 11 islands in the central Pacific Ocean that straddle the equator south of Hawaii. Eight of the islands, including Kiritimati (Christmas Island), form part of Kiribati; the remaining three are uninhabited dependencies of… … Useful english dictionary
Line Islands — Line′ Is′lands n. pl. geg a group of 11 coral atolls in the central Pacific, S of Hawaii: eight of the islands belong to Kiribati, and three to the U.S … From formal English to slang
Line Islands — geographical name islands Kiribati in W Pacific S of Hawaii; formerly divided between the United States (Kingman Reef & Palmyra) & Great Britain (Teraina, Tabuaeran, & Kiritimati) population 4782 … New Collegiate Dictionary
Line Islands — español islas de la Línea o Espóradas Ecuatoriales Cadena de islas del océano Pacífico central, al sur del archipiélago de Hawai. Las islas se extienden a lo largo de 2.600 km (1.600 mi) y tienen un territorio de 500 km2 (193 mi2). Dentro del… … Enciclopedia Universal
Line Islands — Sporadi Equatoriali stor … Sinonimi e Contrari. Terza edizione
- A Republic In the Ocean., 1977 — A film is about the young republic "Cape Verde Islands" which won its independence in July of 1975.
- Danger Warning., 1983 — The film addressses the issue of war and peace today, in the 80-s of the XX century with use of the unique material of foreign newsreel and documents.
- Defeat Of Militaristic Japan. 1945., 1985 — About the war between the USSR and the militaristic Japan.