Glasgow


Glasgow
/glas"goh, -koh/; for 2 also /glaz"goh/, n.
1. Ellen (Anderson Gholson) /gohl"seuhn/, 1874-1945, U.S. novelist.
2. a seaport in SW Scotland, on the Clyde River: administrative center of the Strathclyde region; shipyards. 880,617.
3. a city in S Kentucky. 12,958.

* * *

I
City and council area (pop., 2001: 577,689), western Scotland.

Located on the River Clyde 20 mi (32 km) from its mouth on the Atlantic coast, Glasgow forms an independent council area that lies entirely within the historic county of Lanarkshire. The largest city in Scotland, Glasgow began to develop with the arrival (с 550 AD) of St. Kentigern (St. Mungo), who established a religious community. The present cathedral (13th century) was built on the site of the chapel. Glasgow was made a royal burgh in 1450 and prospered in the 18th century, when American produce (tobacco, sugar, and rum) made fortunes for Glasgow merchants. Its economy wavered as the tobacco trade was cut off by the American Revolution and the cotton industry by the American Civil War. With the Industrial Revolution came coal mining, iron founding, and, especially, shipbuilding. Manufactures now include textiles, food and beverages, and chemicals. A notable education centre, Glasgow has many cultural amenities, including the Scottish Opera, the Scottish Ballet, the Royal Scottish National Orchestra, and Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. The Glasgow Science Centre includes the 459-ft-(140-m-) high Glasgow Tower, the tallest freestanding structure in Scotland and the only structure of its height in the world that revolves 360° from its base.
II
(as used in expressions)
Farragut David Glasgow
Glasgow Ellen Anderson Gholson
Glasgow University of

* * *

Introduction
Gaelic  Glaschu 

      city, west-central Scotland. It is situated along both banks of the River Clyde (Clyde, River) 20 miles (32 km) from that river's mouth on the western, or Atlantic, coast. Glasgow is Scotland's largest city, and it forms an independent council area that lies entirely within the historic county of Lanarkshire.

      The city occupies much of the lower Clyde valley, and its suburbs extend into surrounding districts. Most important commercial and administrative buildings lie north of the Clyde. Shipyards and engineering industries line the Clyde below (west of) the city centre. Area council area, 68 square miles (177 square km). Pop. (2006 est.) council area, 580,690; (2004 est.) urban area, 1,171,390.

History
      Glasgow's Gaelic name, Glaschu, means “Green Glen.” There is evidence of a fortified prehistoric village on the site, but Glasgow did not begin to develop until about AD 550 with the arrival of St. Kentigern (Kentigern, Saint) (Mungo), who established a religious community there. The present cathedral, dedicated to St. Mungo and begun in the 12th century, was built on the site of the chapel. About 1180 William I designated Glasgow a burgh of barony, and about 1189 it was granted the right to hold an annual fair. The first stone bridge over the Clyde was built in 1350. Glasgow was created a royal burgh in 1450, and its university was founded in 1451. Glasgow prospered as a market centre because it was well situated between Highland and Lowland Scotland and also between Edinburgh—the capital, 45 miles (72 km) east—and the west. Yet it was not until after the union of the Scottish and English crowns (1603) that Glasgow grew significantly.

      When trade with the Americas developed in the 18th century, Glasgow was already exporting coal, plaid (wool cloth), and herring to Europe. Trade in the Americas' tropical produce (tobacco, sugar, and rum) then made fortunes for the Glasgow merchants, as the Clyde was dredged and deepened and eventually made navigable to the heart of the city. In 1745, however, Glasgow was almost ruined by the levies imposed by the army of the insurgent Charles Edward Stuart (Charles Edward, the Young Pretender), the “Young Pretender,” which occupied the city. A greater blow followed in 1775 with the revolt of the American colonies and the end of the tobacco trade. Cotton manufacture, which was well suited to Glasgow's damp climate, succeeded the trade in tobacco. Textiles were exported, sugar from the West Indies was processed, and Glasgow's fortunes revived until supplies of raw cotton were disrupted during the American Civil War (1861–65).

      With the Industrial Revolution came coal mining, iron founding, chemical manufacturing, and, especially, shipbuilding, which developed in Glasgow early in the 19th century. The prosperity of Glasgow's shipbuilding and heavy industry was badly shaken after World War I, and its industry has since tended toward greater variety.

      Industrial decline in Glasgow and the development of the peripheral new towns of East Kilbride and Cumbernauld reduced the inner city's population and congestion. During the mid-20th century high-rise redevelopment schemes replaced Glasgow's notorious slum tenement areas (particularly the Gorbals). Late in the century Glasgow experienced a new wave of revitalization and construction.

The contemporary city
 Glasgow's manufactures include textiles, food and beverages, tobacco, and chemicals. Engineering and printing are also important in the economy. The city has a number of growing service activities, including telecommunications and software development. Modern business and industrial estates house many small firms, and others have moved to Glasgow's new towns. Tourism has also increased in importance, aided by the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre (opened 1985).

      The city is a notable education centre, led by the University of Glasgow (founded 1451). The University of Strathclyde was founded in 1796 as Anderson's Institution and obtained university status in 1964. Glasgow Caledonian University, founded in 1875, gained university status in 1993. Glasgow's other postsecondary institutions include the Glasgow College of Nautical Studies, North Glasgow College, and John Wheatley College.

      Few ancient buildings have survived the industrial era, apart from the cathedral and Provand's Lordship (1471), Glasgow's oldest house, but the historic district known as Glasgow Cross, just east of the modern city centre, preserves buildings and streetscapes from the 17th and 18th centuries and is well endowed with parks and cultural amenities, including the Scottish Opera, the Scottish Ballet, the Royal Scottish National Orchestra, and Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. The Burrell Collection, in Pollok Country Park, includes ancient art and works by European and Asian masters. Glasgow also is the site of the Gallery of Modern Art and the Lighthouse, an exhibition and conference centre devoted to architecture, design, and city planning. The Glasgow Science Centre explores the effect of science and technology on society and includes the Glasgow Tower. This 459-foot- (140-metre-) high tower is the tallest freestanding structure in Scotland and the only structure of its height in the world that revolves 360 degrees from its base. Scotland's first public museum, the Hunterian (established in 1807), is housed on the grounds of the University of Glasgow.

* * *


Universalium. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Glasgow — Escudo …   Wikipedia Español

  • Glasgow —    GLASGOW, a city, the seat of a university, and a sea port, having separate jurisdiction, locally in the Lower ward of the county of Lanark, and situated in longitude 4° 15 51 (W.), and latitude 55° 52 10 (N.), 23 miles (E. by S.) from Greenock …   A Topographical dictionary of Scotland

  • Glasgow — • Archdiocese in the south west of Scotland Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006. Glasgow     Glasgow     † …   Catholic encyclopedia

  • Glasgow — Glasgow, MT U.S. city in Montana Population (2000): 3253 Housing Units (2000): 1609 Land area (2000): 1.408048 sq. miles (3.646827 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 1.408048 sq. miles (3.646827 sq …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • GLASGOW — GLASGOW, city in S.W. Scotland. The first Jew to settle in the city was Isaac Cohen in 1812; however there was no sizable community or synagogue until 1833, when services were held in the house of the shoḥet, Moses Lisenheim. By 1831, 47 Jews… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • GLASGOW — Première ville d’Écosse (684 000 hab., en 1992), Glasgow est située sur l’estuaire de la Clyde, élément principal d’une conurbation portuaire et industrielle dite Clydeside. Fondée au VIe siècle, dotée d’un évêché en 1115, d’une université en… …   Encyclopédie Universelle

  • Glasgow — (spr. gläsgo), Stadt (city) und Grafschaft (seit 1893) in Lanarkshire (Schottland), an beiden Ufern des Clyde (Kathedrale 55°511/2 nördl. Br., 4°14 westl. L. v. Gr.), ist die erste Handels und Fabrikstadt Schottlands und die zweite unter den… …   Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon

  • Glasgow — es la mayor ciudad de Escocia, situada en las cercanías de la desembocadura del Río Clyde. Es además una de las 32 regiones concejo en Escocia, oficialmente denominada como Ciudad de Glasgow y como muchos de los municipios del Oeste de Escocia es …   Enciclopedia Universal

  • Glasgow — Glasgow, nach Edinburgh die größte Stadt Schottlands, Jedem bekannt, der Scott s Robin den Rothen las, liegt in dem Thale des Clyde und hat 32,000 Häuser mit 150,000 Ew. Die bequemen Trottoirs, 3 schöne Brücken, die bis in die Stadt einlaufenden… …   Damen Conversations Lexikon

  • Glasgow, DE — U.S. Census Designated Place in Delaware Population (2000): 12840 Housing Units (2000): 4629 Land area (2000): 9.895074 sq. miles (25.628124 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 9.895074 sq. miles (25 …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Glasgow, IL — U.S. village in Illinois Population (2000): 170 Housing Units (2000): 72 Land area (2000): 1.011392 sq. miles (2.619494 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 1.011392 sq. miles (2.619494 sq. km) FIPS… …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.