Coventry


Coventry
/kuv"euhn tree, kov"-/, n.
1. a city in West Midlands, in central England: heavily bombed 1940; cathedral. 337,000.
2. a town in central Rhode Island. 27,065.
3. send to Coventry, to refuse to associate with; openly and pointedly ignore: His friends sent him to Coventry after he was court-martialed.

* * *

City and metropolitan borough (pop., 2001: 300,844), central England.

The city was the home of Lady Godiva who, with her husband, founded a Benedictine abbey there in 1043. It was probably the centre of the presentation of the Coventry mystery plays in the 15th–16th centuries. During World War II, heavy bombing by the Germans left the town severely damaged. The spire of the 15th-century St. Michael's Cathedral and its ruined nave stand beside the new cathedral built in 1962. Chief industries are motor vehicle manufacturing and telecommunications.

* * *

      town (township), Tolland county, east-central Connecticut, U.S., on the Willimantic River amid rolling hills. Although the area, known as Waramaug, was first settled about 1700, only in 1709 did a significant number of people move there. It was named for Coventry, England, in 1711 and incorporated in 1712. The town is known chiefly as the birthplace of the American patriot Nathan Hale (Hale, Nathan), who was hanged by the British and is credited with saying, “I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.” The Nathan Hale Homestead, built in 1776 by his father, Deacon Hale, is preserved. The Nathan Hale Cemetery is in South Coventry above Wangumbaug Lake, where a 45-foot (14-metre) granite obelisk stands as a memorial to the patriot. The town's main economic activities centre on agriculture and tourism. Area 38 square miles (98 square km). Pop. (1990) 10,063; (2000) 11,504.

 city and metropolitan borough, metropolitan county of West Midlands, historic county of Warwickshire, England.

      Coventry probably dates from Saxon times. The sacking of the Saxon nunnery of St. Osburga by the Danes in 1016 led to the founding of a monastery by Earl Leofric of Mercia and his wife Godiva (Godgifu (Godiva, Lady)) in 1043. Godiva is best known for her legendary ride unclothed on a white horse through the town. The monastery brought trade and prosperity, and by the mid-15th century Coventry was an important centre of the woolen textile industry, especially noted for thread but having a variety of other crafts.

      In the 18th century silk ribbon weaving became the staple industry, and later watchmaking was introduced. The silk ribbon trade collapsed in 1860, and many weavers left the town. But the introduction of bicycle manufacture in 1868 brought new prosperity. Workers in the declining watch industry were soon in demand as skilled mechanics, and the bicycle industry developed into motorcycle and later automobile manufacture with the first Daimler car produced in 1896. In the 20th century rayon manufacture and later radioelectronics and ordnance works were introduced.

      World War II brought great destruction to Coventry. The air raids of November 1940 and April 1941 destroyed much of the city, including all but the spires of St. Michael's Cathedral and the Grey Friars' Church; 50,479 houses were damaged. Rebuilding of the town centre at the end of the war concentrated on separating pedestrians from motor traffic, and the new city centre is encircled by an inner ring road. The new St. Michael's Cathedral, designed by Sir Basil Spence and consecrated in 1962, is probably the best known of Coventry's new buildings. The design left the old cathedral spire and ruined nave beside the new building.

 The prosperous manufacturing industries of the postwar period attracted large numbers of workers to the city, and large housing estates were built. Today the motor vehicle, engineering, and machine tool industries are the main employers, with modern textiles and telecommunications also important. The city is an important educational centre with two long-established secondary schools and more recently established centres of higher education. The University of Warwick received its charter in 1965, and Coventry University was designated in 1970. Area 37 square miles (97 square km). Pop. (2001) 300,844; (2004 est.) 304,200.
 

* * *


Universalium. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Coventry R.F.C. — Coventry RFC Full name Coventry Rugby Football Club Founded 1874 Ground(s) Butts Park Arena (Capacity: 4,000) Coach( …   Wikipedia

  • Coventry — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda …   Wikipedia Español

  • Coventry R.F.C. — Coventry RFC Coventry RFC …   Wikipédia en Français

  • COVENTRY — Deuxième ville du comté de Warwickshire après Birmingham, dans les Midlands, et l’un des centres industriels les plus dynamiques de Grande Bretagne. Coventry était déjà très active au Moyen Âge grâce à ses industries de la laine et du cuir… …   Encyclopédie Universelle

  • Coventry — Cov en*try (k?v en tr?), n. A town in the county of Warwick, England. [1913 Webster] {To send to Coventry}, to exclude from society; to shut out from social intercourse, as for ungentlemanly conduct. {Coventry blue}, blue thread of a superior dye …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • Coventry — (spr. Kawwentri), 1) Stadt in der englischen Grafschaft Warwickshire, am Radford u. Sherbourne; Bischofssitz, 3 Kirchen (worunter die St. Michaeliskirche in gothischem Styl), mehrere Bethäuser der Dissenters u. Hospitäler, Bibliothek,… …   Pierer's Universal-Lexikon

  • Coventry — Coventry1 [kuv′ən trē, käv′ən trē] n. [prob. 17th c. Cavalier use: the town was strongly Roundhead] a state of banishment; ostracism [to send someone to Coventry] Coventry2 [kuv′ən trē, käv′ən trē] city in central England, in West Midlands:… …   English World dictionary

  • Coventry — (spr. kóww ntrī), 1) Stadt (municipal borough) und Grafschaft (12,5 qkm) im Innern Englands, am Flusse Sherbourne, ist eng und winkelig gebaut, hat 20 Kirchen (darunter die 1133 gegründete und 1888 restaurierte St. Michaelskirche mit 92 m hohem… …   Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon

  • Coventry — (spr. köww ntrĭ), Stadt in der engl. Grafsch. Warwick, (1904) 73.904 E.; Fabrikation von Seide. Uhren, Fahrrädern, Wollstoffen, Tuchen. Der Coventrykanal verbindet Themse, Mersey, Trent …   Kleines Konversations-Lexikon

  • Coventry — (Kawwentri), engl. Stadt in der Grafschaft Warwick, anglikan. Bischofssitz, mit 37000 E., an einem von ihr benannten Kanal und der London Birmingham Eisenbahn, mit bedeutender Industrie für Seide, Plüsch, Camelot, Band, Zwirn, Uhren etc., sehr… …   Herders Conversations-Lexikon

  • coventry — index ostracism Burton s Legal Thesaurus. William C. Burton. 2006 …   Law dictionary


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.