/blen"euhm/, n.village in S Germany, on the Danube: famous victory of the Duke of Marlborough over the French, 1704. German, Blindheim.
* * *town, northeastern South Island, New Zealand, on the Wairau Plain at the confluence of the Omaka and Opawa rivers. About 1830 the entire plain was sold by the local Maoris to a whaling captain. First settled in 1847, it grew rapidly following the discovery of gold (1864) and was made capital of Marlborough province (1865–76). It was proclaimed a town in 1866. It was named after the European Battle of Blenheim (1704), in which the Duke of Marlborough defeated the French. A junction of several major highways and of the South Island Main Trunk Railway, Blenheim uses the port of Picton (17 miles [27 km] north). Serving an area of sheep, dairy, seed-crop, and cereal farming, the town has light-engineering, motor-body, food-processing, furniture, flax-milling, and animal-feed plants. Pop. (2001) 26,547.
* * *