Cher·ni·hiv (chər-nēʹhəv, -nyēʹhēw) or Cher·ni·gov (-gəf)
A city of north-central Ukraine north-northeast of Kiev. First mentioned in 907, it was the capital of the Chernigov principality in the 11th century and later passed to Lithuania, Poland, and Russia. Population: 310,500.
* * *▪ Ukrainecity, north-central Ukraine, on the Desna River, northeast of Kiev. Archaeology suggests a 7th-century origin, although Chernihiv was first mentioned in 907. It was one of the chief towns of Kievan Rus and the centre of a princedom. Its Transfiguration Cathedral dates from 1036. Chernihiv lost importance after the Tatar invasion (1239–40) and remained a minor provincial centre until modern times, when it developed as a railway junction. Industries in the city have manufactured such products as synthetic fibres, pianos, foodstuffs, and consumer goods. Chernihiv has a teacher-training institute and a branch of the Kiev Polytechnic Institute. Pop. (2001) 304,994; (2005 est.) 300,497.
* * *