Agrigento


Agrigento
/ah'grddee jen"taw/, n.
a city in S Italy. 480,068. Formerly, Girgenti.

* * *

Italy
formerly  (until 1927) Girgenti,  Greek  Acragas,  Latin  Agrigentum 
 city, near the southern coast of Sicily, Italy. It lies on a plateau encircled by low cliffs overlooking the junction of the Drago (ancient Hypsas) and San Biagio (Acragas) rivers and is dominated from the north by a ridge with twin peaks. Agrigento was a wealthy ancient city founded about 581 BC by Greek colonists from Gela. It was ruled 570–554 BC by the notorious tyrant Phalaris, who was reputed to have had men roasted alive in a brazen bull, and it reached its peak in 480 when the tyrant Theron, in alliance with Syracuse, won the decisive Battle of Himera over the Carthaginians (Carthage). In 470 the tyranny was replaced by a democracy. Agrigento was the birthplace of the philosopher-politician Empedocles. Under the tyranny it was a considerable centre of the arts. The city was neutral in the struggle between Athens and Syracuse but was ravaged by the Carthaginians in 406 BC, a disaster from which it never really recovered. Refounded by the Greek general and statesman Timoleon in 338, it achieved some local importance in the early 3rd century BC but was sacked by the Romans (262) and the Carthaginians (255) before falling finally to Rome in 210 BC. Under Roman rule its agricultural wealth and the exploitation of the nearby sulfur mines ensured a modest prosperity. In late antiquity its inhabitants withdrew to the relative security of the medieval hilltop town of Girgenti, the nucleus of modern Agrigento. Occupied and colonized by the Saracens in 828, Girgenti was captured in 1087 by the Norman conqueror of Sicily, Count Roger I, who established a Latin bishopric.

      The plateau site of the ancient city is extraordinarily rich in Greek remains. A wall, with remnants of eight gates, can be traced from the two northern peaks (the Rock of Athena and the hill of Girgenti) to the ridge that carried the south line of the city's defenses. An almost continuous sacred area along this ridge has been excavated to reveal Agrigento's most famous remains, its seven Doric temples. The best preserved are two very similar peripteral, hexastyle temples conventionally, though wrongly, attributed to the goddesses Hera and Concordia; the latter temple, which lacks little but the roof, owes its remarkable preservation to having been converted into a church in AD 597.

      The Temple of Zeus, in front of which stood a huge altar, was one of the largest and most original of all Doric buildings; it was still unfinished in 406 BC. Its ruins were quarried in 1749–63 to build the jetties of Porto Empedocle, and very little is now standing. The Sanctuary of Demeter and Persephone (formerly known as the Temple of Castor and Pollux) is notable for many remains of archaic cult buildings. There is a pre-Hellenic cave sanctuary at the foot of the cliffs where the Temple of Demeter, underlying the Church of San Biagio, is found. There are also ruined temples of Hephaestus and Asclepius (Aesculapius); the “tomb of Theron,” a late Hellenistic funerary monument; and the “Oratory of Phalaris,” a heroon (“heroic shrine”) of the 1st century AD adjoining the 13th-century Church of San Nicola. A short distance to the east of the latter a considerable quarter of the Greek and Roman town has been excavated, but, apart from extensive remains of aqueducts and cisterns, little is known of the Greek civil or domestic architecture. Earlier classical cemeteries lie beyond the walls.

      Notable buildings of the medieval and modern city include the 14th-century cathedral, the 13th-century Churches of Santo Spirito and Santa Maria dei Greci (overlying remains of a Doric temple), Baroque churches and palaces, and the rich archaeological museum. Illegal construction and landslides have resulted in damage to some local monuments, however.

      Agrigento's economy is based on sulfur and potash mining, agriculture, and tourism. It is served by Porto Empedocle, 9 miles (15 km) southwest, the best harbour on the southwest coast of Sicily and Italy's principal sulfur port. Pop. (2006 est.) mun., 59,111.

* * *


Universalium. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Agrigento — Agrigento …   Wikipedia Español

  • Agrigento — Agrigento …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • AGRIGENTO — (Girgenti), town in Sicily. The Jewish community of Agrigento dates to classical antiquity, as attested by a tombstone found there, perhaps of the fifth century. In 598, during the pontificate of gregory the Great, a number of Jews were converted …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • Agrigento — (antiguamente Girgenti) es el nombre de la provincia y la ciudad, que se encuentra en la costa sur de Sicilia, Italia. Tiene unos 55,000 habitantes, y otras ciudades importantes de la provincia son Licata y Naro, la última de estas conocida por… …   Enciclopedia Universal

  • Agrigento — [ag΄rə jen′təmä΄grē jen′tō] city in S Sicily: site of ancient Greek and Roman ruins: pop. 56,000: ancient Latin name Agrigentum [ag΄rə jen′təm] …   English World dictionary

  • Agrigento — Infobox CityIT img coa = Agrigento Stemma.png official name = Comune di Agrigento name=Agrigento region = flagicon|Sicily Sicily province = Agrigento (AG) elevation m = 230 area total km2 = 244 population as of = 2004 population total = 59031… …   Wikipedia

  • Agrigento — Original name in latin Agrigento Name in other language Agridzentas, Agridzhento, Agridentas, Agrigent, Agrigente, Agrigento, Agrigentum, Agrixento Agrigento, Girgenti, QAO, agurijento, Агридженто, State code IT Continent/City Europe/Rome… …   Cities with a population over 1000 database

  • Agrigento — Sp Agridžeñtas Ap Agrigento Sp Agrigeñtas Ap Agrigentum lotyniškai Sp Akragántas Ap Agrigento lotyniškai L mst. ir p ja, Italija (Sicilija) …   Pasaulio vietovardžiai. Internetinė duomenų bazė

  • Agrigento — Agrigente Agrigente Temple de la Concorde Administration Nom italien Agrigento Nom sicilien Girgenti Pays …   Wikipédia en Français

  • Agrigento — noun Province of Sicily, Italy; the town and capital of Agrigento …   Wiktionary


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.