Sitka National Historical Park

Sitka National Historical Park
Park, southeastern Alaska, U.S. Located on Baranof Island in the Gulf of Alaska, it was established in 1910 as a national monument; a national park since 1972, it covers 107 ac (43 ha).

It contains the ruins of the Indian fortress in which the Tlingit Indians made their last stand against Russian settlers in 1804. It also has a collection of old Haida Indian totem poles and the oldest intact Russian-American building in the U.S.

* * *

      park in southeastern Alaska, U.S., on Baranof Island in the Gulf of Alaska, just south of Sitka. It was established in 1910 as a national monument and became a national historical park in 1972.

      The park contains the ruins of an Indian fortress in which the Tlingit Indians made their last stand against Russian settlers in 1804. Another feature of the park, which occupies 106 acres (43 hectares), is a collection of totem poles (totem pole) from old Haida Indian villages on Prince of Wales Island. The Bishop's House, which was built in 1842 and is the oldest intact Russian-American building in the United States, is also on park grounds.

* * *


Universalium. 2010.

См. также в других словарях:


Поделиться ссылкой на выделенное

Прямая ссылка:
Нажмите правой клавишей мыши и выберите «Копировать ссылку»