/par'euh mar"euh boh'/, n.a seaport in and the capital of Suriname, in NE South America. 150,000.
* * *Located on the Suriname River near the Atlantic Ocean, it was originally an Indian village before becoming a French settlement (с 1640). In 1651 it became a British colony but was ceded to the Dutch in 1667. It is built on a shingle reef that stands 16 ft (5 m) above the river at low tide. Much of the distinctive Dutch colonial architecture and a canal system remain. Since 1945 the city has grown considerably because of tourism and industries.
* * *▪ Surinamelargest city, capital, and chief port of Suriname. It lies 9 miles (15 km) from the Atlantic Ocean on the Suriname River. It originated as an Indian village that became a French settlement (c. 1640) and was later the site of an English colony planted in 1651 by Lord Willoughby of Parham. In 1667 Paramaribo was one of the settlements ceded to the Dutch under the Treaty of Breda, commencing the period of Dutch colonial rule that was interrupted only by brief periods of British control (1799–1802 and 1804–15). Since World War II the city has grown considerably because of tourism and industries, including paint, margarine, and cement factories and a brewery that makes beer from rice.Paramaribo is built on a shingle reef that stands 16 feet (5 metres) above the river at low tide. Access from the sea is limited by a sandbar that allows a depth of about 20 feet (6 metres). Much of the distinctive Dutch colonial architecture, as well as a canal system, remains. Paramaribo has the Suriname Museum and an extensive library, as well as the botanic gardens and Government House. Major institutions of learning include the Anton de Kom University of Suriname (1968), the Polytechnic College of Suriname (1994), and the Suriname Agricultural Research Center (1965). The 17th-century Fort Zeelandia is nearby. An international airport, 25 miles (40 km) south, highways, and a railroad serve the city. Pop. (1996 est.) 222,800.
* * *