Esfahán [es΄fä han′]city in WC Iran: capital of Persia in the 17th cent.: pop. 1,127,000
* * *Es·fa·han (ĕs'fə-hänʹ) or Is·fa·han (ĭs'-)A city of central Iran south of Tehran. An ancient town and capital of Persia from 1598 to 1722, it was long noted for its fine carpets and silver filigree. Today it has textile and steel mills. Population: 1,220,595.
* * *or IṣfahānCity (pop., 1996: 1,266,072), west-central Iran.An ancient Median town, it was known as Aspadana. It was a major city of the Seljūq dynasty (11th–13th centuries AD) and of the Safavid dynasty of Iran (16th–18th centuries). Its golden age began in 1598 when Shah Abbās I made it his capital and rebuilt it into one of the 17th century's greatest cities. At its centre he created the immense Maydān-e Shāh, or Royal Square, a great rectangular garden enclosing the Masjid-e Shāh (Royal Mosque). In 1722 Afghanis took the city, and it went into decline. Recovery began in the 20th century, and it is now a major textile centre, whose other industries include steelmaking and petroleum refining.
* * *▪ Iranalso spelled Isfahanmajor city of western Iran. Situated on the north bank of the Zāyandeh River at an elevation of about 5,200 feet (1,600 metres), Eṣfahān is roughly 210 miles (340 km) south of the capital city of Tehrān. The city first thrived under the Seljūq (Seljuq) Turks (11th–12th century) and then under the Persian Ṣafavid Dynasty (16th–18th century). In addition to being an important regional and provincial capital (of Eṣfahān province), it is one of the most important architectural centres in the Islamic world. In 1979 the city's Maydān-e Emām (Persian: “Imam's Square”; formerly Maydān-e Shah, “Royal Square”) was designated a UNESCO World Heritage site.Little is known of Eṣfahān before the rule of the Sāsānian dynasty (c. AD 224–c. 651). In the 4th century Queen Shushan-Dukht, the Jewish consort of Yazdegerd I (reigned 339–420), is said to have settled a colony of Jews in the suburb of Yahūdiyyeh. (The establishment of this colony has also been attributed to Nebuchadrezzar, but this seems less likely.) The Shahrestān Bridge, which spans the Zāyandeh River a short distance southeast of the city, dates from the Sāsānian era; the piers are, however, all that remain of the original structure, the upper part having often been rebuilt. When the Arabs captured Eṣfahān in 642, they made it the capital of Al-Jibāl (“the Mountains”) province, an area that covered much of ancient Media.Eṣfahān grew prosperous under the Persian Būyid (Būyid Dynasty) (Buwayhid) dynasty, which rose to power and ruled much of modern Iran when the temporal authority of the ʿAbbāsid caliphs waned in the 10th century. Toghrïl Beg, the Turkish conqueror and founder of the Seljūq dynasty, made Eṣfahān the capital of his domains in the mid-11th century; under his famous grandson Malik-Shah I (Malik-Shāh) (reigned 1073–92), the city grew in size and splendour. In those days the centre of the city was a square, or rectangle, situated some distance to the north of the later Maydān-e Shah. It was bordered on the north by the Great Mosque of Eṣfahān (Eṣfahān, Great Mosque of) (Masjed-e Jāmiʿ), which is still one of the chief architectural glories of the city; at the southern end was the Mosque of ʿAlī (Masjed-e ʿAlī). Only one tall minaret remains of the original building. Niẓām al-Mulk, Malik-Shah's chief minister and the patron of the poet Omar Khayyam, added a beautiful dome chamber to the Great Mosque. Not to be outdone, his rival Tāj al-Mulk then built nearby a smaller but even more beautiful dome chamber that is said to have attained “the perfection of architecture.”After the fall of the Seljūqs (c. 1200), Eṣfahān temporarily declined and was eclipsed by other Iranian cities such as Tabrīz and Qazvīn, but it regained its preeminent position during the Ṣafavid period (1501–1736).The city's golden age began in 1598 when the Ṣafavid ruler Abbās Iʿ (the Great), who reigned 1588–1629, made it his capital and rebuilt it into one of the largest and most beautiful cities of the 17th century. In the centre of the city he created the immense Maydān-e Shah, a courtyard that measures 1,674 by 540 feet (510 by 165 metres). At the southern end of the courtyard is the famous Masjed-e Shah (“Royal Mosque”; now Masjed-e Emām), begun in 1611/12 but not finished until after ʿAbbās's death. This building, decorated with enameled tiles of great brilliance, has been carefully preserved since the 20th century. On the eastern side stands the Masjed-e Shaykh Luṭf Allāh (“Sheikh Loṭfollāh Mosque”), the mosque used by ʿAbbās for his private devotions. On the western side of the square is the ʿAlī Qāpū (“Lofty Gate”), a high building in the form of an archway that is crowned in the forepart by an immense tālār, or covered balcony, that served as an audience hall and as a vantage point from which the shah and his courtiers or guests could watch games of polo or gladiatorial combats below. This archway leads into the gardens of the former royal palace, which covers a large area with courts and pavilions, one of which, the Chehal Sotūn (“Forty Columns”), was famous as a veranda and throne room for ʿAbbās. At the northern end of the courtyard is a tiled gateway leading to the Qayṣariyyeh, or royal bazaar. The spaces between these buildings are filled by two-story buildings with arched recesses, all of uniform design.Nearly 1,800 feet (549 metres) west of the Maydān-e Emām and connected to it by a side road is the Chahār Bāgh (“Four Gardens”), the avenue that ʿAbbās made to give access to his capital from the south. (According to legend the monarch had to purchase four gardens in order to construct the road.) The Chahār Bāgh runs southward to the Zāyandeh River, which it crosses by means of a fine bridge built by Allāhverdi Khan, one of ʿAbbās's generals. The northern part of the avenue, nearly 1 mile (1.6 km) long and 200 feet (61 metres) wide, consisted of two alleyways with a promenade between; down the centre was a watercourse with basins and fountains at intervals. Shade was provided by rows of trees. The two roadways and the promenade remain, but the watercourse and fountains have disappeared.A French Huguenot jeweler and writer, Jean Chardin (Chardin, Jean), spent 10 years in Eṣfahān between 1664 and 1677 and in his Voyages gave a detailed and graphic description of the city as it was at its zenith. It then had, he said, 162 mosques, 273 public baths, 1,802 caravansaries (caravansary), and 48 madrasahs (religious colleges). Among the last group was the renowned Māder-e Shah (“Royal Mother”) madrasah; built in the early 18th century, it has a splendid Arabesque dome. During this striking period of architectural growth, the city was also the centre of the Eṣfahān school of miniature painting and was home to numerous scholars and literati.In 1722 the Ghilzay Afghans, led by Maḥmūd, defeated the Persian army a few miles east of Eṣfahān and took the city after a long siege. Eṣfahān never fully recovered from this event. For many years afterward most of the city was a heap of rubble, and its population dwindled to a fraction of what it had once been. Recovery began during the reign of Reza Shah Pahlavi (1925–41). An industrial quarter was built, and many of the historic buildings were restored. The city is on a main north-south highway from Tehrān to Shīrāz and the Persian Gulf. It is linked by road east and southeast to Yazd, Kermān, and Zāhedān and thus to Pakistan.Eṣfahān is famous for its handicrafts, such as silverware, copper work, and brass work, as well as for its pottery. The old art of tile making has been successfully revived in order to repair the ancient monuments. The city is also well known for its rugs and its qalamkārs (cotton fabrics handprinted with various designs), and in the 20th century industrial textile mills grew. More modern industries include steelmaking and petroleum refining. The city is the home of Eṣfahān University (established 1936). Pop. (2006) 1,602,110.
* * *
Look at other dictionaries:
Esfahan — o Isfahan es una de las 28 provincias de Irán. Se encuentra en el centro del país, y su capital es Esfahan … Enciclopedia Universal
Esfahán — [es΄fä han′] city in WC Iran: capital of Persia in the 17th cent.: pop. 1,127,000 … English World dictionary
Esfahān — Infobox Settlement official name = Esfahānnickname = Nesfe Jahan (Half of the world). imagesize = 350px image caption = Naghsh i Jahan Square, Isfahan. image sealsize = 52px mapsize = map caption = pushpin pushpin label position = pushpin map… … Wikipedia
Esfahan — Ispahan Ispahan (fa) اصفهان Administration Pays … Wikipédia en Français
Esfahan — Isfahan DEC … Deutsch Wikipedia
Esfahan — Original name in latin Efahn Name in other language Aspadana, Esfahan, Esfehan, Efahn, Efehn, IFN, Isfahan, Isfakhan, Ispahan, asfhan, Исфахан State code IR Continent/City Asia/Tehran longitude 32.65722 latitude 51.67761 altitude 1570 Population… … Cities with a population over 1000 database
Esfahān — or Isfahan or formerly Ispahan geographical name city W central Iran; former capital of Persia population 986,753 … New Collegiate Dictionary
Esfahan — n. city in Iran (also Ispahan); province in Iran (also Ispahan) … English contemporary dictionary
Esfahan — Isfahan … Sinonimi e Contrari. Terza edizione
Esfahan — noun city in central Iran; former capital of Persia • Syn: ↑Isfahan, ↑Aspadana • Instance Hypernyms: ↑city, ↑metropolis, ↑urban center • Part Holonyms: ↑Iran, ↑ … Useful english dictionary