/mawr"is, mor"-/, n.1. Gouverneur /guv'euhr near"/, 1752-1816, U.S. statesman.2. Robert, 1734-1806, U.S. financier and statesman, born in England.3. William, 1834-96, English painter, furniture designer, poet, and socialist writer.4. Wright, born 1910, U.S. novelist.5. a male given name, form of Maurice.
* * *(as used in expressions)Brandes Georg Morris CohenGoldwater Barry MorrisHillquit MorrisMorris HillkowitzHunt Richard MorrisLapidus MorrisLouis MorrisMorris Louis BernsteinMorris Jesup CapeMorris GouverneurMorris MarkMorris RobertMorris WilliamSteveland Morris
* * *county, northern New Jersey, U.S., bounded by the Musconetcong River and Lake Hopatcong to the west, the Pequannock and Pompton rivers to the north, and the Passaic River to the east. It consists largely of a piedmont and upland region, with swampy lowlands in the southeast, and is drained by the Black, Rockaway, and Raritan (Raritan River) (south branch) rivers. Among its numerous lakes are Charlotteburg and Morristown reservoirs, Budd Lake, and Lake Hopatcong, the largest lake in New Jersey. Parklands include Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge and Hacklebarney and Hopatcong state parks. The principal forest species are oak and hickory.In the 17th century English and Dutch settlers encountered Algonquian-speaking Delaware Indians in the region. Many colonists migrated from Long Island, N.Y. Morris county was formed in 1739 and named for Lewis Morris, first governor of New Jersey. Iron mining spurred the early development of the county, notably in Morristown, the county seat. It was home to many ironworks, such as the Speedwell Iron Works, where Samuel F.B. Morse (Morse, Samuel F.B.) and Alfred Vail (Vail, Alfred Lewis) first demonstrated the electromagnetic telegraph (1838). Morristown National Historical Park, created in 1933 and the first of its kind in the nation, marks the site where General George Washington (Washington, George) quartered his troops for two winters during the American Revolution. Morristown also is the site of the College of Saint Elizabeth (founded 1899). Madison and its environs contain Drew University (chartered 1868) and a campus (1958) of Fairleigh Dickinson University.Other principal towns are Parsippany–Troy Hills, Mount Olive, Roxbury, and Morris. The economy is based on services, finance, and manufacturing. Area 469 square miles (1,215 square km). Pop. (2000) 470,212; (2007 est.) 488,475.
* * *