Magdeburg


Magdeburg
/mag"deuh berrg'/; Ger. /mahg"deuh boorddk'/, n.
the capital of Saxony-Anhalt, in central Germany. 290,579.

* * *

City (pop., 2002 est.: 229,755), capital of Saxony-Anhalt state, east-central Germany.

Located on the Elbe River, it was a trading settlement as early as the 9th century, and by the 13th century it was a leading member of the Hanseatic League. It embraced the Reformation in 1524 and was governed by Protestant titular archbishops. In 1631, during the Thirty Years' War, it was burned and sacked. Captured by the French during the Napoleonic Wars, it soon passed to the Prussians, and in 1815 it became the capital of the province of Saxony. It was heavily bombed during World War II. One of Germany's most important inland ports, it is a railroad junction. The composer Georg Philipp Telemann was born there.

The cathedral at Magdeburg, Ger.

W. Krammisch/Bruce Coleman Inc.

* * *

 city, capital of Saxony-Anhalt Land (state), east-central Germany. It lies along the Elbe River, southwest of Berlin.

      First mentioned in 805 as a small trading settlement on the frontier of the Slavic lands, it became important under Otto I (the Great), who founded there (c. 937) the Benedictine abbey of Saints Peter, Maurice, and Innocent. In 962 it became the seat of an archbishopric, the boundaries of which were fixed in 968, comprising the bishoprics of Havelberg, Brandenburg, Merseburg, Meissen, and Zeitz-Naumburg. The archbishopric played a major part in the German colonization of the Slavic lands east of the Elbe.

      Although it was burned down in 1188, Magdeburg became a flourishing commercial centre in the 13th century and was a leading member of the Hanseatic League. In that century it also established an autonomous municipal administration, Magdeburger Recht (Magdeburg Law), that later was widely adopted throughout eastern Europe. Its citizens, in almost constant conflict with the archbishops, became nearly independent of them by the end of the 15th century. Magdeburg embraced the Reformation in 1524 and was thereafter governed by Protestant titular archbishops. During the Thirty Years' War it successfully resisted a siege by imperial forces under Albrecht von Wallenstein (Wallenstein, Albrecht Wenzel Eusebius von, Herzog von Friedland, Herzog von Mecklenburg, Fürst Von Sagen) in 1629 but was stormed in 1631 by Johann Tserclaes, Graf (count) von Tilly (Tilly, Johann Tserclaes, Graf von), who burned and sacked the city and butchered about 20,000 of the city's 30,000 inhabitants.

      By the Peace of Westphalia (Westphalia, Peace of) (1648) the archbishopric became a secular duchy, passing to the electorate of Brandenburg on the death of the last administrator (1680). In 1806 the fortress of Magdeburg surrendered to Napoleon without fighting and was included in the kingdom of Westphalia until 1813. In 1815 the city became the capital of the newly constituted Prussian province of Saxony. The fortress was dismantled in 1912. Heavy bombing in 1945 destroyed much of the city, including the Renaissance city hall (1691).

      Magdeburg is situated at a natural crossroads on the Elbe; it is at the junction of several major railway lines and arterial highways and is linked to the Rhine River by the Mittelland Canal and with Berlin and the lower Oder River by another system of canals. During the period of German partition, it was the most important inland port of East Germany; inland shipping remains significant. Although German reunification in 1990 brought steep declines in manufacturing activity (particularly machine building), the service sector of the economy expanded rapidly. Today Magdeburg is a centre of food processing, particularly sugar refining and flour milling, and of metalworking and heavy engineering. A chemical industry and textile milling are also significant.

 Because the city's important industrial and commercial facilities were restored and expanded after both World War II and German reunification, the city centre has uncharacteristically wide streets and mid-to-late 20th-century architecture throughout. The Romanesque and Gothic cathedral (1209–1520) dedicated to Saints Maurice and Catherine has survived, and the Monastery of Our Lady (begun c. 1070), the oldest church in the city, has been restored. The Magdeburg Rider, the oldest German equestrian statue (c. 1240), showing Otto the Great, can be seen in Magdeburg's Cultural History Museum. The physicist Otto von Guericke (Guericke, Otto von), the composer Georg Telemann (Telemann, Georg Philipp), and the soldier Frederick William, Freiherr (baron) von Steuben (Steuben, Frederick William, Freiherr von), were born in Magdeburg. The city is the seat of Otto-von-Guericke University of Magdeburg (founded 1993), and there are numerous schools and technical colleges. Pop. (2005 est.) 229,126.
 

* * *


Universalium. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Magdeburg — • Capital of the Prussian Province of Saxony, situated on the Elbe; pop. 241,000; it is noted for its industries, particularly the production of sugar, its trade, and its commerce. From 968 until 1552 it was the seat of an archbishopric Catholic… …   Catholic encyclopedia

  • MAGDEBURG — MAGDEBURG, city in Germany. The Jewish community of Magdeburg is one of the oldest in Germany. As early as 965 there were Jews living in the town, and they were placed under the jurisdiction of the archbishop by Otto the Great. They traded in the …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • Magdeburg [2] — Magdeburg (hierzu der Stadtplan, mit Registerblatt), Hauptstadt der preuß. Provinz Sachsen wie des gleichnamigen Regierungsbezirks, Stadtkreis und Festung, liegt am Nordende der fruchtbaren Magdeburger Börde (s. S. 62) und an der Elbe, die sich… …   Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon

  • Magdeburg [2] — Magdeburg, 1) Regierungsbezirk der preußischen Provinz Sachsen, gebildet aus der Altmark, aus dem Herzogthum M. (ohne den Saalkreis), dem Fürstenthum Halberstadt (ohne den Kreis Ermsleben), dem Fürstenthum Quedlinburg, den Ämtern Barby, Gommern u …   Pierer's Universal-Lexikon

  • Magdeburg — Mag de*burg, n. A city of Saxony. [1913 Webster] {Magdeburg centuries}, {Magdeburg hemispheres}. See under {Century}, and {Hemisphere}. [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • Magdeburg [1] — Magdeburg, vormaliges deutsches Erzbistum. ward 962 aus einem Teil des Bistums Halberstadt gebildet, 967 bestätigt, aber erst 968 nach dem Tode des Erzbischofs Wilhelm von Mainz und des Bischofs Bernhard von Halberstadt wirklich eingerichtet. Ihm …   Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon

  • Magdeburg — Magdeburg, die feste Hauptstadt der preuß. Provinz Sachsen, am linken Elbufer, für den Handel einer der wichtigsten Plätze der ganzen Monarchie, hat 46,000 Ew. und besteht aus der Altstadt, Friedrichsstadt und den Vorstädten Neustadt und… …   Damen Conversations Lexikon

  • Magdeburg — Magdeburg, Hauptstadt der preuß. Provinz Sachsen, Festung ersten Rangs, besteht aus 4 Theilen: Altstadt, Sternschanze, Citadelle, Thurmschanze oder Friedrichsstadt, sowie 2 Vorstädten, hat ohne Militär 71000 E., ist Sitz der Provinzialbehörden,… …   Herders Conversations-Lexikon

  • Magdeburg [1] — Magdeburg, deutsches Erzbisthum, welches außer seiner eigenen (früher zu Halberstadt gehörigen) Diöces, noch die Bisthümer Meißen, Merseburg, Naumburg (Zeitz), Havelberg, Brandenburg u. eine Zeit lang Posen umfaßte u. dessen Prälat die Würde… …   Pierer's Universal-Lexikon

  • Magdeburg — Magdeburg, Hauptstadt der preuß. Prov. Sachsen und des Reg. Bez. M. (11.513 qkm, 1900: 1.176.372, 1905: 1.225.537 E., 3 Stadt , 14 Landkreise), Stadtkreis [Karte: Mittleres Westdeutschland I, 4, bei Rheinprovinz] und Festung (Eisenbahnsperre und… …   Kleines Konversations-Lexikon

  • Magdeburg — v. d Allemagne, sur l Elbe, cap. du Land de Saxe Anhalt; 287 360 hab. Carrefour ferrov. et centre industr. Grande ville hanséatique, elle fut un centre actif du protestantisme au XVIe s. Archevêché (Xe s.). Cath. gothique (XIIIe s.) …   Encyclopédie Universelle


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.