/mah"dahng/, n.a seaport on the N coast of New Guinea, in Papua New Guinea. 6609.
* * *port on the northeastern coast of the island of New Guinea, Papua New Guinea. It lies along Astrolabe Bay of the Bismarck Sea, near the mouth of the Gogol River. Madang is the centre for a large timber industry based on the Gogol forest, about 25 miles (40 km) inland, and is the distribution centre for the north coast and the Central Range. It is also a communication point for the offshore islands and has a major airport. The port handles exports including copra, coconuts, coffee, and cocoa. Local industries include tuna processing, engineering and joinery workshops, timber milling, and the manufacture of black twist tobacco (for local use).The town originated as Friedrich-Wilhelmshafen and served as the administrative centre for the former German colony. It was abandoned by the Germans in 1899 because of the prevalence of malaria there. Australian administration after 1914 was followed in 1942–45 by Japanese occupation of the area. Kalibobo lighthouse at the harbour entrance commemorates New Guinea coast watchers who aided the Allies during World War II. Madang is connected by a coastal road to Bogia in the northwest and to Lae and other points southeast. Pop. (2004 est.) 36,000.
* * *