Lucerne


Lucerne
/looh serrn"/; Fr. /lyuu serddn"/, n.
1. a canton in central Switzerland. 291,700; 576 sq. mi. (1490 sq. km).
2. the capital of this canton, on Lake of Lucerne. 65,300.
3. Lake of. Also called Lake of the Four Forest Cantons. a lake in central Switzerland. 24 mi. (39 km) long; 44 sq. mi. (114 sq. km). German, Luzern.

* * *

City (pop., 2000: 59,496), central Switzerland.

Located southwest of Zürich, on Lake Lucerne and its Reuss River outlet, it developed around an 8th-century monastery. It joined the Swiss Confederation in 1332. A stronghold of Catholicism during the Reformation, it later took part in the Sonderbund war. It is a tourist centre, with its medieval walls, towers, and covered bridges. Among its many monuments is the famous Lion of Lucerne, carved in rock, which commemorates the Swiss Guards slain while defending the Tuileries Palace in Paris in 1792.

* * *

 capital of Lucerne canton, central Switzerland, on the Reuss River, where it issues from the northwestern branch of Lake Lucerne (German: Vierwaldstätter See; French: Lac des Quatre Cantons), southwest of Zürich. The city's name was derived from the Benedictine monastery of St. Leodegar (Luciaria), founded in the 8th century. From the nearby fishing village grew a city, probably chartered about 1178, whose inhabitants were originally serfs of the monastery. After the opening of the St. Gotthard Pass (c. 1230), Lucerne developed into an important trade centre between the upper Rhine and Lombardy. In 1291 the monastery and city were purchased by Rudolf (Rudolf I) IV of Habsburg (also called Rudolf I of Germany), against the will of the citizens, who desired independence. Political instability under Rudolf's successors led Lucerne in 1332 to join the alliance formed by the cantons of Uri, Schwyz, and Unterwalden in 1291. The group won independence after the Battle of Sempach (1386) against the Habsburg army. By 1415 Lucerne had acquired most of the territory of the present canton, by either treaty, armed occupation, or purchase. It became the leader of the Catholic cantons at the Reformation and was the seat of the papal nuncio from 1579 to 1874. The city's aristocratic regime was compelled to abdicate in 1798 under the onslaught of the Napoleonic armies. Lucerne was for a time the capital of the Helvetic Republic, resuming its status as the cantonal capital in 1803.

      Divided into two parts by the Reuss River, which is crossed by seven bridges within the town, Lucerne has one of the most picturesque settings in Switzerland. The Spreuerbrücke (1407), now the oldest bridge, is roofed and decorated with some 56 paintings, scenes from the Dance of Death, dating from the early 17th century. Until its destruction by fire in 1993, the Kapellbrücke (1333; “Chapel Bridge”) was the oldest bridge. It was similarly decorated. The old town on the right bank is distinguished by well-preserved 14th-century town walls (Musegg) with nine watchtowers, quaint alleys, and squares with medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque houses. Notable buildings are the old town hall (1602–06), housing the historical museum; Am Rhyn House (1617); St. Peter's Chapel (1178; altered 1750); the Hofkirche (an 8th-century cathedral and collegiate church of St. Leodegar); and the Mariahilf Church (1676–81). Other landmarks are Bertel Thorvaldsen's “Lion of Lucerne” monument (1819–21), in memory of the Swiss guards slain while defending the Tuileries in Paris in 1792; the Glacier Garden, a relic of the Ice Age excavated in 1872–75; and the comprehensive Swiss Transport Museum (1959). On the left bank are the cantonal government building, Regierungsgebäude, or Ritterscher Palast (1557–64; a Jesuit college 1577–1804); the State Archives (1729–31), with a Rococo Marian chamber and library and the Central Library (1951), housing the numismatic, natural history, and Helvetica collections; the St. Francis Xavier (Jesuit) Church (1667–77); the 14th-century Gothic Franciscan Church with Rococo transepts; the Corporation Building (1675); the new town hall (1913); the Richard Wagner Museum (1933); the modern St. Anthony's Chapel (1954); the Art Gallery and Congress Hall (Kunst- und Kongresshaus; 1932–33). The Culture and Convention Centre, directly on Lake Lucerne, was designed by the renowned French architect Jean Nouvel and was opened in 1998.

      In addition to various cantonal and municipal schools, there are the central Swiss Transport School, the Swiss Catholic School of Sacred Music, the Central Swiss Technical College, and the Swiss Schools of Bakery and of Hotel Keeping. Lucerne is also the seat of the Supreme Cantonal Court, a commercial tribunal, a criminal court, a juvenile court, and the Federal Insurance Court.

      Because of its magnificent surroundings, temperate climate, and easy access by road and rail, Lucerne has become one of the largest and most important tourist resorts in Switzerland. Steamer services on the lake connect with various mountain railways and cableways, and there is a direct narrow-gauge rail connection with the winter-sports centre of Engelberg. Facilities include a casino, beaches, rowing and sailing regattas, horse-racing and show-jumping competitions, an annual international music festival, and a traditional pre-Lenten carnival. Lucerne's commercial and industrial activities depend largely on the tourist trade. The population is German speaking and largely Roman Catholic. Pop. (2007 est.) city, 57,890; urban agglom., 200,282.

      canton, central Switzerland. Lucerne is drained by the Reuss and Kleine Emme rivers and occupies the northern foothills of the Alps, which rise to 7,710 feet (2,350 m) at the Brienzer Rothorn. Comprising the territories acquired by its capital, the city of Lucerne (q.v.), it was part of the Helvetic Republic after 1798 and resumed its status as an independent canton in 1803, by Napoleon's Act of Mediation. After attempting to pursue a separatist policy, which led to its defeat by federal troops, in 1848 Lucerne again entered the Swiss Confederation as a full member.

      Of the total surface area, about 90 percent is productive land. The main sources of income are field crops, fruit, cattle, industry, and tourism, the latter concentrated in the area around the capital. Manufactures include machinery, metal goods, paper, wood, and electrical equipment. There is also boatbuilding. Much transit traffic between Germany and Italy crosses the canton. The population is mainly German speaking and Roman Catholic. Area 576 square miles (1,493 square km). Pop. (2007 est.) 359,110.

* * *


Universalium. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Lucerne — • Chief town of the Canton of Lucerne in Switzerland Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006. Lucerne     Lucerne     † …   Catholic encyclopedia

  • Lucerne — ist die französische/englische Schreibung für Luzern Orte in den Vereinigten Staaten: Lucerne (Arkansas) Lucerne (Colorado) Lucerne (Indiana) Lucerne (Kalifornien) Lucerne (Louisiana) Lucerne (Missouri) Lucerne (Ohio) Lucerne (Pennsylvania)… …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • LUCERNE — Ville de contact entre les Alpes et le Moyen Pays suisses Lucerne (allemand: Luzern) est établie comme Annecy, Genève ou Zurich dans un site classique de débouché lacustre, là où les voies d’eau et de terre, venant de la montagne, s’irradient en… …   Encyclopédie Universelle

  • Lucerne — Lucerne, WY U.S. Census Designated Place in Wyoming Population (2000): 525 Housing Units (2000): 224 Land area (2000): 19.790164 sq. miles (51.256286 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.650437 sq. miles (1.684623 sq. km) Total area (2000): 20.440601 sq …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • LUCERNE — (Ger. Luzern), city in the canton of the same name, central Switzerland. Jews were first mentioned in Lucerne in 1252, when the terms of their protection were defined. During the 14th century, a fine was prescribed for anyone perpetrating a blood …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • Lucerne, CA — U.S. Census Designated Place in California Population (2000): 2870 Housing Units (2000): 1814 Land area (2000): 6.108969 sq. miles (15.822157 sq. km) Water area (2000): 13.365606 sq. miles (34.616758 sq. km) Total area (2000): 19.474575 sq. miles …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Lucerne, MO — U.S. village in Missouri Population (2000): 92 Housing Units (2000): 53 Land area (2000): 0.249003 sq. miles (0.644915 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 0.249003 sq. miles (0.644915 sq. km) FIPS… …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Lucerne, WY — U.S. Census Designated Place in Wyoming Population (2000): 525 Housing Units (2000): 224 Land area (2000): 19.790164 sq. miles (51.256286 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.650437 sq. miles (1.684623 sq. km) Total area (2000): 20.440601 sq. miles… …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • lucerne — LUCERNE, ville et Canton en Suisse, Lucerna. Ceux de Lucerne, Lucernani, Lucernates …   Thresor de la langue françoyse

  • Lucerne — (s. ⇨ Laterne). 1. Ein Lucern beleucht andern den Weg aber sich selbst nicht. (S. ⇨ Laterne 1.) – Lehmann, 461, 10. 2. Ein schön Lucern hat offt kein Liecht. – Lehmann, 163, 12. 3. Mancher will andern mit seiner finstern Lucerne ein Licht… …   Deutsches Sprichwörter-Lexikon

  • Lucerne — Lu cerne, n. (Bot.) See {Lucern}, the plant. [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.