/kil ken"ee/, n.1. a county in Leinster, in the SE Republic of Ireland. 70,806; 796 sq. mi. (2060 sq. km).2. its county seat. 9,466.
* * *▪ IrelandIrish Cill Chainnighcity, municipal borough, and seat of County Kilkenny, Ireland. It lies on both banks of the River Nore, about 30 miles (50 km) north of Waterford. The ancient capital of the kingdom of Ossory, Kilkenny in Norman times had two townships: Irishtown, which had its charter from the bishops of Ossory; and Englishtown, which was established by William Marshal, earl of Pembroke (Pembroke, William Marshal, 1st earl of), and was raised to the status of a city in 1609. The two were united in 1843. The people of Kilkenny are known as “Cats,” the name likely originating in the medieval period.Kilkenny Castle, perhaps the city's most famous landmark, stands on an eminence of 100 feet (30 metres) overlooking the Nore. It was burned in 1175 but was rebuilt in the late 12th and early 13th century by William Marshal. In 1391 the 3rd earl of Ormonde bought the castle. Thereafter it served as a private home for the Ormondes until they abandoned the building in 1935. From 1967 the castle was administered by the National Heritage Council, and it now serves as a museum and art gallery.Many parliaments were held in Kilkenny from 1293 to 1408. In 1609 Kilkenny was granted a charter by King James I. The Confederation of Kilkenny, representing the native Irish and the Anglo-Norman Catholics, functioned for six years as an independent Irish parliament, the first meeting being held in 1642. Oliver Cromwell (Cromwell, Oliver)'s forces attacked the town in 1650, and it surrendered.St. Canice's Cathedral, begun about 1192, occupies the site of a 6th-century church founded by St. Canice; the bishop's residence was built about 1360. The Roman Catholic Cathedral of St. Mary (1843–57) is a cruciform building with a 200-foot (60-metre) tower. A Dominican friary, founded in 1225, is still used; and the churches of St. Mary and St. John date from the 13th century. The Tholsel (1761) is used for corporation meetings. Shee's Almshouse dates from 1594, and Grace's Old Castle, which was used as a jail beginning in 1566, is now a courthouse.Kilkenny is a market centre for a rich agricultural area. Woolen mills were long important to the city's economy, and textiles and crafts—particularly those made of Kilkenny limestone—are still significant, as is tourism. Other industries include brewing, printing, engineering, and information technology. Pop. (2002) 8,591; (2006) 8,661.Irish Cill Chainnighcounty, province of Leinster, southeastern Ireland. It is bounded by Counties Laoighis (north), Carlow and Wexford (east), Waterford (south), and Tipperary (west). The principal rivers are the Barrow (Barrow, River), Suir (Suir, River), and Nore. The climate is mild. The county is well wooded; there are several state forests, and reforestation has been under way for many years.The counties of Kilkenny and Carlow are linked for representation in the Irish Parliament, but, for local government and all administrative purposes, Kilkenny has a separate county council.Cereal grains and vegetables are grown in the county, and the southwest part is noted for its apples. Dairying and beef production and the raising of sheep, pigs, and poultry are significant. The wool trade is also important. The brewing of ale and malting of local barley have been carried on since the 13th century. The county also has various food-processing, agricultural-engineering, clothing, and handicraft industries. Anthracite coal was long mined in the county, though the industry is no longer in operation; a zinc mine opened for production in the late 1990s.Among the many prehistoric sites in Kilkenny are Iron Age forts, ancient stones incised with the cryptic ogham script, incised Celtic crosses, and megalithic tombs and underground chambers. At Harristown in the south is one of the largest dolmens (dolmen) (megalithic tombs) in Ireland. The name Kilkenny means “Church [or Cell] of St. Canice,” who founded his church on the site of the present cathedral in Kilkenny city in the 6th century.Kilkenny became one of the counties of Leinster in 1210, but it had been a place of importance for centuries before. Some of the numerous castles in the county were built by the Irish and some by the Anglo-Normans. There are five round towers, one adjacent to St. Canice's Cathedral. Thomastown, founded in the 13th century, has many historic remains, and at Jerpoint Abbey (founded 1158) are some of the finest Cistercian ruins in Ireland. There are remains of Augustinian priories at Inistioge, Callan, and Kells. Area 800 square miles (2,073 square km). Pop. (2002) 80,339; (2006) 87,558.
* * *
Look at other dictionaries:
Kilkenny — Kilenny City … Wikipedia Español
Kilkenny — (en irlandés: Cill Chainnigh) es la capital del Condado de Kilkenny, República de Irlanda. Situada a orillas del río Nore, la ciudad es conocida por sus edificios medievales y su vida nocturna. Se ha conocido a Kilkenny como La ciudad del marmol… … Enciclopedia Universal
Kilkenny — Kilkenny, MN U.S. city in Minnesota Population (2000): 148 Housing Units (2000): 61 Land area (2000): 0.122741 sq. miles (0.317897 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 0.122741 sq. miles (0.317897 sq … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Kilkenny, MN — U.S. city in Minnesota Population (2000): 148 Housing Units (2000): 61 Land area (2000): 0.122741 sq. miles (0.317897 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 0.122741 sq. miles (0.317897 sq. km) FIPS… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Kilkenny  — Kilkenny, Binnengrafschaft in der irischen Provinz Leinster, von den Grafschaften Carlow, Wexford, Waterford, Tipperary und Queen s County umgeben, 2063 qkm (37,5 QM.) groß mit (1901) 78,821 Einw. (38 auf 1 qkm), davon 94,6 Proz. Katholiken; 10… … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Kilkenny — [kɪl kenɪ], irisch Cill Chainnigh [kil xɑnig], 1) Hauptstadt der gleichnamigen County im Südosten der Republik Irland, am Nore, 17 700 Einwohner; katholischer und anglikanischer Bischofssitz; archäologisches Museum; Marktzentrum eines… … Universal-Lexikon
Kilkenny — county in Leinster, Ireland. The county is named for its town, from Ir. Cill Chainnigh Church of (St.) Kenneth. The story of the Kilkenny cats, a pair of which fought until only their tails were left, is attested from 1807 … Etymology dictionary
Kilkenny — Kilkenny, 1) Grafschaft der irischen Provinz Leinster; 34 QM.; im Norden gebirgig (Black Stairs u. Brandons Hills); im Süden fruchtbare Ebenen u. Thäler; Flüsse: Barrow (Nebenflüsse: Nore, Suir u. Divin); 153,000 Ew., welche Getreide, Gemüse,… … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Kilkenny  — Kilkenny, Hauptstadt der gleichnamigen irischen Grafschaft (s. oben), am Nore, zerfällt in zwei Teile: die englische Stadt, um das auf einem 12 m hohen Felsen am Flusse stehende Schloß des Marquis von Ormonde (aus dem 12. Jahrh., mit… … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Kilkenny — Kilkenny, Grafschaft der irischen Prov. Leinster, 2063 qkm, (1901) 78.821 E. – Die Hauptstadt K., am Nore, 10.493 E., Schloß der Grafen von Ormond (Gemäldegalerie); Marmorschleifereien, Fabriken für wollene Decken … Kleines Konversations-Lexikon
Kilkenny — Kilkenny, irische Grafschaft in Leinster, 34 QM. groß mit 140000 E., Ackerbau, Viehzucht, Steinkohlengruben, ziemlicher Industrie, daher nicht so arm wie die meisten andern Distrikte Irlands. Die Stadt K. am Nore mit 20000 E., Sitz eines kath. u … Herders Conversations-Lexikon