Douglas


Douglas
/dug"leuhs/, n.
1. Sir James ("the Black Douglas"), 1286-1330, Scottish military leader.
2. James, 2nd Earl of, 1358?-88, Scottish military leader.
3. Kirk (Issur Danielovitch Demsky), born 1916, U.S. actor.
4. Lloyd C(assel) /kas"euhl/, 1877-1951, U.S. novelist and clergyman.
5. Michael, born 1944, U.S. actor and producer (son of Kirk Douglas).
6. Stephen A(rnold), 1813-61, U.S. political leader and statesman.
7. William O(rville) /awr"vil/, 1898-1980, Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court 1939-75.
8. a city on and the capital of the Isle of Man: resort. 19,897.
9. a city in SE Arizona. 13,058.
10. a town in central Georgia. 10,980.
11. a male given name: from a Scottish word meaning "black water."

* * *

(as used in expressions)
Adrian Edgar Douglas
Bradbury Ray Douglas
Douglas Aaron
Douglas Kirk
Douglas Michael
Douglas Sir James
Douglas Stephen Arnold
Douglas Tommy
Thomas Clement Douglas
Douglas William Orville
Duncan David Douglas
Engelbart Douglas
Fairbanks Douglas
Douglas Elton Ulman
Gretzky Wayne Douglas
Haig Douglas 1st Earl
Hartree Douglas Rayner
Lincoln Douglas Debates
MacArthur Douglas
James Douglas Morrison
Morton James Douglas 4th earl of
Roberts Sir Charles George Douglas
Sirk Douglas
Smith Ian Douglas
Wiggin Kate Douglas
Kate Douglas Smith
Douglas Home Sir Alec

* * *

      city, Cochise county, in Sulphur Springs Valley, southeastern Arizona, U.S. A port of entry (on the Mexican border), it is separated from Aqua Prieta, Mexico, by International Avenue. It was founded in 1901 as a copper-smelting centre and was named for James Douglas (Douglas, James), president of the Phelps Dodge (mining) Corporation. Irrigation development, enabling cattle raising and farming, broadened its economy. It now serves as an import point for eastern Sonora, Mexico. Immediately west is Cochise College (1964). Inc. 1905. Pop. (1990) 12,822; (2000) 14,312.

      city, seat (1858) of Coffee county, south-central Georgia, U.S., about 80 miles (130 km) east of Albany. Founded in 1858, it was named for U.S. Senator Stephen A. Douglas (Douglas, Stephen A) of Illinois, who became Abraham Lincoln's opponent in the 1860 presidential election. The city is the trading centre for a large agricultural area and is one of the state's most important tobacco markets. Logging, livestock raising, poultry production, and the manufacture of mobile homes, engines and engine parts, and clothing are other economic activities. South Georgia College, established there in 1906, is the state's oldest state-supported junior college. General Coffee State Park is about 6 miles (10 km) to the east. Inc. town, 1895; city, 1899. Pop. (1990) 10,464; (2000) 10,639.

      municipal borough and capital, since 1869, of the Isle of Man (Man, Isle of), one of the British Isles. It lies on the island's east coast, 80 mi (130 km) northwest of Liverpool (across the Irish Sea). Low hills encircle the town, penetrated by the valley of the combined Dhoo (Manx, “dark”) and Glass (Manx, “light”) rivers, from which it takes its name.

      Douglas grew rapidly in the 18th century as a result of the smuggling trade and by 1850 was a popular watering place. The Tynwald, or Manx Parliament, and the House of Keys, one of its legislative branches, are situated in the Legislative Buildings, built (1894) on Prospect Hill. The Tynwald Court is composed of the two legislative branches—the House of Keys and the Legislative Council—sitting in joint session, but voting separately. The town's primary occupations are tourism, light precision engineering, brewing, and mineral water works. At the mouth of the rivers is the harbour, which can be viewed from a two-mile promenade circling it; 7 mi (11 km) southwest is a civil airport.

      Of interest are the Tower of Refuge, built in 1832 on the dangerous Conister, or St. Mary's Rock, in Douglas Bay; Castle Mona (1804); and the Manx Museum. The Tourist Trophy motorcycle races and international cycle races are held each June; the Manx Grand Prix race is in September. The Manx Electric Railway connects Douglas with Ramsey and the summit of Snaefell (2,034 ft [620 m]). The Isle of Man Steam Railway connects Douglas with Port Erin. Pop. (1981) 19,944.

 city, seat (1887) of Converse county, east-central Wyoming, U.S., on the North Platte River, 52 miles (84 km) east of Casper. Founded in 1886 with the arrival of the railroad, it was first called Tent Town but was renamed to honour Stephen A. Douglas (Douglas, Stephen A), Lincoln's political opponent. It is a trade centre for a livestock, grain, poultry, and petroleum region and the home of the annual Wyoming State Fair, as well as the site of the Wyoming Law Enforcement Academy. Nearby are the restored site of Fort Fetterman, built in 1867 during the Sioux wars, and Ayres Natural Bridge, a 100-foot (30-metre) arch spanning La Prele Creek. A division of the Medicine Bow National Forest is across the river to the south, and the Thunder Basin National Grassland lies to the north. Inc. 1886. Pop. (1990) 5,076; (2000) 5,288.

      county, west-central Nevada, U.S., adjacent to the lower half of Lake Tahoe and the California border. The first permanent settlement in Nevada was established in 1851 at Mormon Station, renamed Genoa in 1855 (the Mormon Station Historic State Monument commemorates the event). Douglas, created in 1861, is one of Nevada's original counties. Minden (the county seat) and Gardnerville are the commercial centres of the Carson River valley.

      The economy is based on tourism, especially legalized gambling and recreation. Area 710 square miles (1,839 square km). Pop. (2000) 41,259; (2007 est.) 45,406.

* * *


Universalium. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.