city, seat (1882) of Juab county, north-central Utah, U.S. Located at the southern end of the Wasatch Range, the city was founded as an agricultural colony in 1851 and was originally called Salt Creek; in the late 1850s Mormon leaders renamed it after a prophet of the Book of Mormon. Nephi grew as a ranching and farming centre, later becoming a shipping point for gypsum mined in the vicinity and a centre of rubber production. The city hosts the Ute Stampede Rodeo and lies at the western end of the Nebo Loop scenic drive. Inc. 1882. Pop. (1990) 3,515; (2000) 4,733.
* * *