- Lake Geneva
resort city, Walworth county, southeastern Wisconsin, U.S. It lies on the northeastern shore of Lake Geneva (Geneva Lake) at its outlet, the White River, about 45 miles (70 km) southwest of Milwaukee. It was settled in 1836 and was named for Geneva, New York. Gristmills and sawmills were built there in the early days. After the American Civil War, Lake Geneva became known as the “Newport of the West,” a popular year-round resort for wealthy Chicago residents who built summer homes and estates on the lake and in the wooded hills. Many of those Chicagoans then lived in these homes year-round after their Chicago homes were destroyed in the famous fire (Chicago fire of 1871) of 1871. Until the beginning of World War II, ice was shipped by rail from Lake Geneva to Chicago. Tourism now dominates the local economy, and the city is known for its scenic beauty, luxurious resorts, and historic mansions.Williams Bay, on the lake's northwest shore, is the site of the University of Chicago (Chicago, University of)'s Yerkes Observatory. The lake, covering 5,262 acres (2,129 hectares), is 7.6 miles (12.2 km) long and 2.1 miles (3.4 km) wide; it is partly spring-fed, has a shoreline of 26 miles (42 km) and a maximum depth of 135 feet (41 metres), and is a popular fishing location. At its western end is Fontana, the site in the 1830s of the Potawatomi village of Chief Big Foot. Big Foot Beach State Park is at the lake's eastern edge, and the smaller Lakes Como and Delavan are nearby. Boat tours, including one in which mail is delivered by boat during the summer months, can be taken on Lake Geneva. The city, once a wintering site for circuses, also features a horse park and petting zoo. The Wisconsin School for the Deaf was founded in nearby Delavan in 1852. Inc. 1883. Pop. (1990) 5,979; (2000) 7,148.
* * *